By: Josué Sánchez – Technology Leader
Surely you have been the victim of a digital ad/banner that chases you all over the web, showing a product which you previously saw in an online store or on a website, this ad possibly led you to think How is it possible that they know what I want? How is it possible that this product that I want so much is chasing me? and it chased you for several days until you started to hate it or went back to the online store to buy it; it turns out that this is not a product of chance, it is called remarketing strategy, and this is thanks to the technology we have today in digital advertising.
Another example of how technology is transforming the communication of brands could be this: winter begins and a couple that has retired to the beach, used to travel to warmer and drier countries, because they do not like the rain and cold of winter. They start looking for options on the internet for their trip and thanks to the detailed segmentations that we can do today with digital advertising, these searches create a behavior, but mainly create "data" that will allow brands to know what the user is looking for and now, show them not only what they are looking for but what they want to see.
Why have brands and companies been able to present the most appropriate message at the most opportune time to consumers?
The key is in the use of user data, today all users leave a trace in everything we do on the Internet and this data together with the new technological tools allows us to communicate the right message at the right time.
Companies are using technology not only to better understand their consumers but also to better choose when to communicate or display content to the consumer.
Instead of using generic messages or making broad segmentations, as was done until not so long ago, let's look at audiences in a much more concrete and/or specific way, which makes it possible for the messages to be specific as well, thus generating relevance and communicating to the consumer what he wants and what he needs to hear or see.
Here are some tips to help you segment your audiences for effective communication.
- Define the objective of what you want to achieve.
- Create specific, direct messages that always have a call to action, if it is necessary to make a message for each profile of your audience, do it.
- Spend time getting to know the behavior on social networks, search engines and the content consumed on the Internet by the people you want to communicate something to.
- Identify in which digital platforms is your target audience.
- Select the ideal platform on which your message can successfully reach this objective, taking into account that not all platforms allow you to create concrete and specific segmentations.